With the death nail on InfoPath, there’s a lot of talk on workflow and forms engines in SharePoint….We choose AgilePoint
Formotus is another option and they have a completely independent white paper that you can download from their web site. Oh course it’ll be totally independent, given that it’s from their web site. 🙂
The Good:- What’s really cool about the product
- 1. UI:
– User friendly development.
– Easy to deploy and use.
– Neat Mobile friendly forms available
– Parallel process of two applications possible using sub process using no code.
– SharePoint workflows in Agilepoint solve most purposes for which event receivers are needed.
– Wide variety of controls available for various functionalities.
– Different process models available for different uses. I.e. E-forms, Sharepoint Forms, System Integration etc.
– Can add Jquery/ CSS to controls easily through shared/ individual files.
- 2. Runtime:
– Detailed information about variables/fields used available at runtime.
– Multiple data sources can be used at various events.
– Running applications will continue to run when a new change is published, as a result of which the system doesn’t have to be brought down to deploy changes.
– Can use APIs to access any kind of data from other resources.
- 3. Product features:
– SharePoint version independent will work with future versions.
– Easy to be integrated into different systems because SharePoint, Sales force have AgilePoint Dashboards available.
– Log in using various Authorization method possible. (OAuth2 covers a lot of authorization methods)
– Very easy to export applications to other tenants and reuse them.
– Globally reusable tokens can be created and exported to multiple application increasing reusability.
– Individual forms also can be exported and re-used across multiple applications and tenants.
- 4. On Premise /Private Cloud
– Multiple tenants possible on a private cloud
– Can access data stored in xml and create various reports based on the data
– Canvas designed in a way that plain text cannot be placed on a form. It has to be in controls.
– Controls take up a specific size which cannot be changed in height. This does give a neater look but desired look is difficult (I may be biased as this is easily possible in MS word/ Infopath).
– Nesting controls is difficult except put in subforms which in turn do not support a lot of controls
– Custom HTML controls rendering is difficult.
– Autosave doesn’t happen and the UI becomes unresponsive at time causing loss of data
– Lookups take a while to load.
– Page submit actions can’t be modified.
– Poor integration with IE
– Offline modification of forms not possible
- Product Features:
– Look and feel can’t be modified to look like SharePoint to maintain consistency
– Difficult to integrate in SP if not using Agilepoint dashboards as a physical location of forms/tasks is not available
The Ugly:- What totally sucks
– Very poor support for multiple controls in design time and runtime. Hence not suitable for larger forms.
– Cant access forms from a physical location as forms are available as tasks. This is usually a major requirement by the client.
– Cant access data on the forms anywhere hence can’t be put in reports easily.